Subject: [Leica] Digital: it's how we use what the workflow gives us
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Jun 2 23:28:47 2005

We've been talking on this list for a couple of years about  our
experiences with digital cameras and its workflow.

Some find they are shooting a lot more and enjoying it less. Or making
worse images per shot than they did with film.

Aren't we learning a new tool? It's like the transition from view
camera to 35mm film. I wonder, did photographers bemoan making lots of
bad exposures. "Why I shot 18 pictures in the time it took me to set
up my (insert view camera name here) for a single shot. And only one
of my images was even 1/10th as good."

I'm finding that now that I'm used to the camera, and the lenses that
I'm using with it, I'm able to understand the limitations of the
camera. I shoot more than I would with film still - but I experiment
more. I feel more inclined to work an image. So when I presented an
image here last week and someone wondered what it would have looked
like at f4.5 instead of f1.4 - well I had an f6.1 and I KNEW it was
f6.1 because the camera thoughtfully recorded that information for me.

It also recorded the precise sequence that i shot. And I think that
unless you're Tina or B. D. or Ted that there's a lot to be learned by
looking at HOW we shoot, the decisions we make, and how the final
images work out.

That's the joy of working in a digital medium. And yes, when Leica
builds a digital M I'm going to be all over it because I like the
rangefinder technique for some kinds of shooting better than I do the
massive SLR kind. I like choice. Choice is good.

Now I know that I could meticulously annotate every shot I make when
shooting film. But that takes away from spontaneity and I'm back to
setting up the view camera - one of which I've actually never
used...too many degrees of freedom...I'm in trouble with a tripod, a
view camera (laughing) they'd have to surgically remove me from it,
I'm sure, and that's just removing one from the shipping container!

So, anyway, I think you look at a new tool and see what it can give
you. As I work I find that what I get is a different perspective on
the way I work. I see all the images on the Photoshop light-table and
I can ask serious questions. What WAS I thinking? What did you have on
your mind THEN?

I'm learning a lot about photography this way - along with the careful
and thoughtful comments from this group (amongst others.)

My thoughts.

Adam