Subject: [Leica] Photoessay: Japan disability protest 2005.05.12
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Thu Jun 2 20:10:39 2005

At 6:09 PM -0700 05.6.2, Richard wrote:
>Strong images and commentaries. Thank you for sharing.
>
>Speaking of the rarely mentioned subjects, has anyone done any
>photojournalistic work on either the Emishi, or the Untouchables in
>Japan? Could make a very strong piece of work...

Thanks for the kind words!

<professor mode on>
Hmmm... I think you're confusing several groups:

Emishi (also known as the ezo) are the aboriginal inhabitants of
Northern Japan. They were colonized/killed by the Yamato people of
southern Japan in the 1800s.  They are the remote village people who
appear in the beginning of the movie Princess Mononoke. Ashitaka, the
young hero, is one of them.

There were two untouchable classes in feudal Japan: the eta and the
Burakumin (although they are often glossed as the same).  They were
"liberated" from the caste structure with the Meiji Restoration in
late nineteenth century Japan, although in reality discrimination
still happens. In my Minorities and Sexualities in Modern Japan
class,  I analogize Burakumin as operating similarly to race in the
USA but without any difference in skin color or cultural identifiers
marking it.  Like race in the United States, if you are of former
burakumin lineage, you encounter discrimination in education, quality
of living, residence, marriage, employment, and social advancement
but with the complication that you are ethnically Japanese and no one
can tell you are former Burakumin unless they look at your family
records. Quite complicated and it usually gets the students in knots.

In any case, the former Burakumin are quite sensitive about the issue
and since they insist they are ethnically Japanese, there isn't much
to photograph, especially now that most of the neighborhoods that
used to be segregated buraku-areas are improved. There are a couple
of excellent 1960s and 1970s  photoessays in the University of
Michigan east asia library system. I browsed through them last time I
was there, unfortunately I did not jot down their names.
<professor mode off>

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura