Subject: [Leica] Too much inventory
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (nathan.wajsman@planet.nl)
Date: Thu Jun 2 06:11:04 2005

The main reason things like Leicas are more expensive in Europe is the
lack of competition in many markets and people's lack of willingness to
shop online in some countries. True, the cost of doing business is
higher in some places than in others, but that has very little to do
with price differences. Thus, photo gear is more expensive in France
than in the Netherlands because the French use the internet less than
the Dutch, speak foreign languages to a much lesser extent, and are much
more wedded to the idea of shopping locally. The British market is more
competitive, but because of language difficulties and a general
suspicious of dealing with foreigners (similar to Americans), the
British are less likely to buy from a German online shop, for example.
Dutch and German prices are quite decent if you look around, and much of
the price differential relative to the US can be explained by the higher
rates of sales tax (VAT) over here.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands