Subject: [Leica] first camera - my first real camera
From: ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben)
Date: Wed Jun 1 13:20:52 2005

This is not the story of my first  camera but the story of my first real
camera

When i want something strongly I set my mind up to it and then I patienly
wait until the right moment appears. The First Leica I saw was on an ad - it
was a M4 and I was "sold" it must have been early 70ties when I was about 10
years old - I have always liked mechanics and watches etc. I cut the ad out
of a magazine and it was stuck with cellotape on my door until I some years
later saw an ad for a Black M5 - that ad occopied my door for another period
until I moved away from my parrents house and I took it down and keept it
with my import papers like my birth cetificate. sometime during the 80ties I
saw that the M6 was introduced - I got the brocure and had it until 1997
when fortune and hard work made me recieved a bonus at work at the same time
as the local pro camera dealer had a demo M6 with a Summicron 35 2,0 at a
reasonable price. Until that point I had used Canon AF/EOS for 24x36 film
and I had never actually held a Leica in my hands, only in my mind !
The dealer gave me a full year warranty and i asked him to place the camera
and lens etc. in their boxes. Not before I came home to my appartment did I
touch the Leica - It was almost a religous moment. I had my old brochure,
the black box with the M6 - the strap - the battery - the film and the lens
in the "leather" pouch and the manual.
Since that day i have only used my Canon EOS for longe tele and macroshots -
I recently sold my canon backupcamera and 4 lenses and a flash.
After My first leica the family has grown to a IIIf , a M2 and a M3
my motto: Like good sex, cars and food there is no going back - and even
though i think it is great to use yashica rangfinders there is for 24x36
nothing that comes anywere near the shooting pleasure of an Leica
rangefinder - nothing - I use less film, and I get more good shots on a film
that I ever did with my canons
My lenses are 35 mm summicron, 4,0 90 mm elmar C, 50 mm 1,5 summarit and for
the IIIf 3,5 5cm elmar - 3,5 3,5 cm summaron and 90 mm 4,0 elmar -

all the best
Ruben

Replies: Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] Off-topic but interesting - D2x review)
Reply from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] first camera - my first real camera)