Subject: [Leica] Mary Ellen Mark on radio
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Wed Jun 1 11:17:16 2005

Tina;
Early LIFE comes out of an even earlier progressivist period. Over
the past 80 years what drove that type of sentiment for social
concern has been systematically dismantled, virtually brick by brick.
But it hasn't gone away, as it's systemically embedded in our
culture, language, and manner of discourse.
The documentary methodology of that era was driven by the available
tools of the day, the portable movie camera and the hand held still
camera. With that in mind there's no reason in not anticipating
another evolutionary leap with the current technology. While much of
it is really not that original, what it does have that's unique is
that reporting happens in real time now at the popular level. The
'what is going on' is no longer under the sole purview of high
capital intensive entities. Apart from access, the playing field has
been leveled to the point that anyone is a documentarian. Case in
point is the person who took the images of the caskets coming home
from iraq.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://sdimitrovphoto.com