Subject: [Leica] Old time Leica prices
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue May 31 09:37:21 2005

<<"A Leica could be obtained in Germany for the equivalent of $20 in US
cigarettes and would sell in New York for $600. The delivery to the
States via G.I. mail was duty free."

------------------------------

How much was a pack of cigarettes at that time?  As recent as 1970 I
remember buying cartons of cigarettes for $2 each in Indiana.

------------------------------

Are you sure about that price in New York?  That's a lot more than the
US$400 or so that I recall having paid for an M-4 and 50mm Summicron in
1968, even taking into consideration war-time scarcity and pent-up
demand.

=====================

Just a guess about the price in New York in 1945-46. I wasn't old enough
to afford more than a Kodak Brownie then. I recall being told by old
timers that a good IIIc with a Summitar would sell for more than $500. I
did buy a brand new IIIf with a collapsible Summicron and a first
edition M3 (DS, no frame selector) with a F3.5 Elmar at a duty free
airport shop in Europe for $254 USD each in 1954. I still have and use
both cameras and kept the price receipts to prove their value to
customs. But then you could send a letter for 3 cents, a subway ride was
a nickle, a new car cost less than $3000 and the Sunday New York Times
was 30 cents. At today's prices, the equivalent camera would cost over
$2000.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Old time Leica prices)
Reply from msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Old time Leica prices)