Subject: [Leica] 35 f1.4 pre-ASPH
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon May 30 14:52:49 2005

>I sold mine :-( I'm considering trading in my Tri-Elmar for the new 75mm
>Summicron and don't think I'll miss it, but I wish I'd never sold the
>old Summilux.
>
>Steve

I've had a number of the old 35/1.4's for a total
of over 30 years, and none were a match for any
decent Summicron at f/2. As has been said before,
if you are interested in shooting at f/1.4 on
anything except an emergency basis, get an ASPH.
The old 'lux was appealing on the basis of
emergency low light capability and tiny size, but
it doesn't make much sense now when you can have
first class performance with the new 35/1.4 ASPH,
or quite decent performance and small size with
the 40/1.4 Nokton. I have and use the ASPH, and
for small size a 4th gen Summicron, which in my
estimation gives me the best of both worlds, and
both are fully useable at all apertures.

There was also mention of 'residual aberrations'
with respect to the old 'lux at f/1.4. There was
nothing residual about them. There was, however,
some residual definition amongst the aberrations.
If you ever wondered what the terms 'coma' and
'astigmatism' mean in practice, shoot some night
scenes with city lights with this lens at f/1.4.
You can see coma and astigmatism on a contact,
let alone an enlargement.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design