Subject: [Leica] Leica CL vs CLE
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 30 12:20:31 2005

In a message dated 5/30/05 10:35:34 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org writes:

> this is nor surprising because they are one and the same -- made in
> Deutschland by E. Leitz, both of them, the CLE version was just
> rebranded, different
> front ring meant lower price, too -- check the rear cam constrctions.
>
> ctrentelman
There's a big difference between the CL and CLE. First, you can still get
the
CL repaired. The CLE is problematic. I think Leica still repairs the CL
because it falls into the M class. The meter of the CL is different; it's
the same
type that was used in the Leica M5. The CLE has an automatic meter, I
believe,
that varied shutter speed. The design of the CL was innovative, again, like
the M5, it had side lugs for the strap. Even the shutter dial of the CL is
mounted on the front panel of the camera. Both cameras used the same set of
two
lenses, 40mm and 90mm. Both very good indeed. I use the CL and get excellent
images with it. It took some getting used to; but after that it is a jewel.

Minolta probably made both cameras; but the level of precision in the CL is
remarkably high. Leitz distributed the CL. Minolta marketed the CLE. IMHO
they're different designs and the CL belongs to the M5 generation. Nothing
to do
with the Minolta CLE.

Bob

Replies: Reply from buzz.hausner at verizon.net (Buzz Hausner) ([Leica] CL & M5...Surely You Jest!)