Subject: [Leica] Messrs Tatum, Waller and Horowitz on the keys
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun May 29 23:15:28 2005

I remember Steinway making uprights about 30 years or so ago - but I'm
not aware that they do it today.

I wonder how much of Tatum's music was adapted to the instruments on
which they performed on a regular basis. This is NOT to denigrate in
any way the extraordinary music they created, just that they often had
to perform on instruments that didn't even have 88 keys. I think they
often had to perform on 60 key instruments although I'm uncertain
about how I know this. Maybe the Ken Burns "Jazz" although I don't
think so.

Years ago in The New Yorker (I'm thinking about 1976 or so) was an
article about a female concert pianist who experienced some
"interesting" instruments on tour. I've thought about it often and I
think it's finally time to hit the library and search it out.