Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Tue May 24 06:29:47 2005

>And sometimes people decide they want the performance, cost be damned!  Yes
>I could get 90% of the performance of the 280 f/4 APO with Canon's
>excellent >EF 300mm f/4 for a lot less money but I'm not interested in 90%
>performance.

This is the raison d'?tre of every owner of Leica equipment -and BTW of
Carl Zeis owners too- but does not correspond  in every case to rational
but emotional approaches. In a logical world adding the sum of all the
savings you make choosing the more economical and almost so efficient
options you can get something more really important like a car, domestic
appliances or finance a son studies. This is a philosophy that explain
that more and more professionals are shooting with other equipment while
many exigent amateurs remain using Leica where a standard lens of 50mm
may cost $2.495 while another 50mm of a very reputed manufacturer do
cost $229,95. But this is not the main issue but the *lack* of what some
of us do think is important as the digital cameras or digital backs.
Again most professionals will abandon such rigid position unable to
follow the true necessities of pro photographers. Not to speak of
arrogance of Leica people when say that some kind of equipment -which by
the way could be marketed extraordinary well- do not fulfill their
traditional level of quality. A commercial company has to produce money
for their shareholders not to be proud and plenty of auto satisfaction
collecting losses. Consequently they will commercially die.

Meanwhile we, proud and emotional Leica owners, will get the best
technically perfect images that a camera may produce. Like Wagner's
Twilight of the gods we assist plenty of satisfaction at the end of an era.

Felix