Subject: [Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Mon May 23 03:26:05 2005

>-Are most Lug users using the 20D or is anyone using the 1D MK 11 and do
>the Leica R lenses balance better on the larger Mk11 body, I am
>specifically >speaking about the 8.2 megapixel bodies?

Scott

The first EOS digital modern cameras -and this include D30, D60, 10D, 20
D , first Rebel  and all the 1 D saga- have been built making use of
previous models and therefore the box containing the instant return
mirror has the appropriate size for covering lenses designed for using
with full format sensor, while in fact the sensor was APS size with 1.3
and/or 1.6 cropping factor excepting the 1 Ds. So some Leica lenses with
protruding parts will hit the mirror producing damages in the camera.
Among them some models of R19 and the 21-35 R zoom and other than right
now I cannot remember.

The good news is that new Rebel Xt has a mirror box designed from
scratch and smaller. Every of these lenses - I believe- can be used
without any problem. I've used the 21-35 zoom with my Rebel XT but this
extraordinary zoom cannot be used in any of my 1Ds's. But -excepting
some extraordinary Leica lenses- you'll be more than happy with the
Canon offer specially L lenses. I use my R lenses in my Canon bodies
merely because I own them but their main use is in my R body and
-perhaps, only perhaps- with next DMR.

Regards

Felix

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Re:Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies)