Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon May 23 15:00:59 2005

B. D. Colen wrote:

> It strikes me, Gary, that if the quality differences were as striking
> as some on this list believe, then virtually every professional
> photographer worth calling professional would have been shooting with
> Leica - and would still be doing all his or her film shooting with
> Leica. And that simply was not, and is not now the case.

Few will question the difference in technical quality between 35mm and
larger formats so if technical quality were all that mattered to a
professional photographer then no professional photographer worthy of the
title would use something as small as 35mm - yet many have and do use 35mm
film, while many other film-users use larger formats.  So, it seems that
other factors are involved in addition to technical quality.  Thus we find
that among 35mm film users, some prefer Nikon, some use Canon, and some use
Leica.

Whether B. D. or anyone else sees the difference in technical quality or not
is irrelevant.  What matters is whether the person buying and using the
camera sees the difference, and how much he/she values this quality vs. the
other factors each equipment choice has to offer.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies)