Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon May 23 13:13:58 2005

Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@planet.nl> wrote:

> Normally when evaluating any piece of equipment, people look not just at
> the quality, nor only at the price, but at the overall price/quality ratio.

And sometimes people decide they want the performance, cost be damned!  Yes
I could get 90% of the performance of the 280 f/4 APO with Canon's excellent
EF 300mm f/4 for a lot less money but I'm not interested in 90% performance.

> I have a 1.8/85mm Canon lens which I bought used for $285. A used 100mm
> Apo Macro will cost at least $1800 (that is the lowest price I have seen
> advertised). Can I honestly say that for someone of average means,
> buying the Leica is justified when for 1/6 of the price he can get a
> Canon lens of comparable focal length, more than 1 stop wider aperture
> and autofocus, which will give him 95%+ of what the Leica lens gives?

A more appropriate comparison would be the Canon 85/1.8 and the Leica pre-AA
90/2.0, which is priced in the same ballpark as the Canon 85/1.8

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com