Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon May 23 08:53:05 2005

On 5/23/05 8:36 AM, "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@comcast.net> typed:

> Mark Rabiner actually wrote, apparently with a straight face -
>>
>> I did notice when I got my 60 AF macro Nikor last year that for not that
>> much more I could have gotten a used 60 macro Leica lens. Same one Salgato
>> uses for so much stuff and I've seen those prints. And they look better
>> than
>> mine. And its not his enlarger lens or something he's putting in his
>> Dektol.
>> Subject matter not included.
>

> Could it be, Mark, that he is a far, far better photographer than you
> (or I, or anyone on this list - no company excepted), that his
> negatives contain more information than yours, absolutely perfectly
> exposed, and that his printer puts you to shame? Salgado is nothing
> if not the consummate photocraftsman working today in black and white
> documentary photography; the only other photographer who comes close
> is Nachtwey. To suggest that the difference between his prints and
> yours might be a Leica macro versus the Nikon macro is such utter
> foolishness it boggles the mind: It is, in fact, an absolutely
> classic example of someone suggesting that "if I had me one of those
> Leiky cameras I'd be as good as that Hank Breson dude, but I've only
> got a crappy Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Minolta." ;-)

I'm not about to compare myself as a photographer to Sebastian Salgato but I
can I know what "information" is in a print and generally how it got there.
And that kind of quality doesn't come from Nikon lens was my strong
impression from 40 years experience in darkroom work and a body of work and
portfolios to show for it.
It comes from Leica lenses. I felt the Salgato show showed me the value of
Leica glass.
And if you thought so you'd be using Leica lenses too but you don't and I
don't think ever much took much stock in Leica glass or Leica anything.
Hence your non use the stuff.

I'm now reading that you feel my opinion on this is such utter foolishness
it boggles your mind.
Believe me I could care what boggles your mind.
One of these days one of us who does not prefer to remain anonymous will see
one of your prints and tell us about it.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/