Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (nathan.wajsman@planet.nl)
Date: Mon May 23 07:42:57 2005

Mark,

I am trying to give advice based on what I think makes sense to someone
who is getting into Canon DSLRs. It is based on the premise that such a
person is extremely unlikely to ever go back to a film-SLR. Maybe a
rangefinder Leica to satisfy that need, but I just do not see anyone who
has experienced a Canon or Nikon DSLR going back.

So, given that, the question is: is a 100mm Apo Macro better than a
100mm Canon equivalent? Undoubtedly it is. But is it so much better than
the vastly higher price is justified? IMO no. That is why I said that
someone who is only now building a lens outfit around a Canon DSLR body
should probably stick to Canon lenses. Especially because the longer
Canon lenses are really, really good. If anything, it is on the wide end
that Canon is considered a bit weak.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Almere, Netherlands