Subject: [Leica] Leica R lenses on Canon Digital Bodies
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sun May 22 20:29:08 2005

Scott,

> -do you feel that there is much of a quality difference in your finished
> prints from using R glass vs. Canon L glass?

Canon's long glass is pretty good too, but the images I shoot with the
100mm Apo Macro are superior to anything else.

> -What are the Leica lenses that you prefer to use with your Canon digital
> bodies?

The 100mm Apo Macro. Having said this and the comment above, I will also
say this: it probably does not make a lot of sense for anyone who does
already own the R lenses to buy them for their Canon DSLR. Most of us
who are using the combination are doing it because we already had the
lenses when we acquired the DSLR. This is certainly the case for me.

> -Are most Lug users using the 20D or is anyone using the 1D MK 11 and do
> the Leica R lenses balance better on the larger Mk11 body, I am
> specifically speaking about the 8.2 megapixel bodies?

I am using the 20D, but I believe that there are several 1-series users
here. I am sure that the 100mm Apo Macro and other heavier Leica lenses
would also balance better on the heavier 1D-bodies.

> Any other comments would be appreciated especially about quality of the R
> glass on these bodies.

Despite numerous statements to the effect that with digital, lenses are
less important because there is a "dumb-down" filter in front of the
sensor and a number of other technical reasons, my experience is very
much that great glass is great glass, whether the photons are hitting a
piece of film or a digital sensor.

Nathan