Subject: [Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Fri May 20 19:00:19 2005

I'm sorry Ted, but there are some real advantages to shooting RAW, over
jpeg. Imagine you are shooting a high contrast
scene and a face gets blown out. WIth jpeg you are out of luck, but
with a RAW file there will be a stop or two of headroom available, from
which you may be able to recover detail. It's just like printing a
negative down in the darkroom. Jpegs are like slides. What you see is
what you get.

That said, you CAN go crazy dealing with these things.
;-)

I think one of the big problems with shooting digital is the sheer
volume of shots that people generate. It's free, instantaneous and you
can fit a few hundred shots on a tiny card. Some people end up firing
away at 6-8 fps at anything that moves, like they are storming the
beaches at Normandy. 8-) Shot discipline can really go out of the
window.

Now of course that's NOT everyone, but when I see some of my friends
return with hundreds or over a thousand shots
from a simple outing, I know something is wrong...
;-)

feli

On May 20, 2005, at 6:11 PM, Ted Grant wrote:
> Hi Mehrdad,
> I think what happens with many people doing digital is, they drive
> themselves crazy with over work by fiddling every picture to death
> trying to make it better. Raw? Hell that's a quick way to death! Shoot
> everything JPEG and quick is far better and much easier on ones work
> staring at the screen!
>
> An example... look at this web site for quality pictures and tell me
> why you shoot RAW when all these photographs were shot.... JPEG!
>
> http://www.sixsixsix.ca/    Then click on "PICTURES OF THE WEEK!"
>
> Why shoot RAW? It's nothing but a pain in the ass and more work!
>
> My routine when handling digital images on the computer? JPEG
feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com

no archive

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Now RAW vs JPEG)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)