Subject: [Leica] mobile phones and breakneck speeds
From: corkflor at iol.ie (Alex Hurst)
Date: Thu May 19 12:01:44 2005

The immortal Ted understated:

>Somethings do erk me a tad, cells and driving is on the top of the list!

I followed a BMW driver through the middle of Cork City, Ireland this
evening. He was all over the road and driving at 15 mph in pouring
rain. When I got alongside him at the lights it was a middle-aged
exec with a mobile glued to his ear, yakking animatedly - not an old
lady who was scared of rain.

Lest you think I'm prejudiced against BMWs, I drive a venerable
version myself which has a hands-free system. If someone rings,
unless it's the most mundane and briefest of enquiries, I pull over
ASAP and yak in relative safety - it's still very distracting even
hands-free.

Like many things in Ireland, using a mobile while driving (other than
hands-free) is a major offence, and I have yet to see a prosecution.
Maybe next time I'll ring the police with the plate number...:-)

Best

Alex

--
Alex Hurst
Waterfall

Tel: +353 214 543 328 (H)
        +353 214 270 907 (W)

Fax: +353 214 271 248
email: corkflor@iol.ie
Also: corkflor.2@virgin.net (when in the UK, which isn't often)
Home website: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor/
Business website: http://www.corkflorists.com/

Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) public key available at:
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371
ID: 0x5BB72019

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] mobile phones and breakneck speeds)