Subject: [Leica] lens recommendations (R)
From: michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema)
Date: Wed May 18 13:19:43 2005

Philippe Orlent wrote:
> On the same topic, and in my case for general purposes:
> Would a Cla'd SL + Vario Elmar 28-70 be a good choice to have for those
> moments that a RF just isn't ideal?

Hi Philippe,

The SL is a very nice camera. Built like a tank and a very bright vf.
Personally I had a very bad experience with the 28-70. Maybe I had bad
luck but in my opinion it is not up to Leica standards. Also Erwin Puts
is not very enthusiastic about this lens. Distortion with the 28 setting
was really disturbing me and contrast and sharpness were not what I'm
used to with Leica. Maybe I should have stopped down the lens a bit
more, but with a Leica lens I should be able to use the, already not so
very fast lens, wide open without too much trouble. Also the variable
aperture is not very convenient when shooting with flash on a non-ttl
camera. I traded it in for the 35-70/4 and never looked back. The 35-70
is a very good performer and fully usable wide open. I also got the 24
to suit my wide angle needs.

Best regards,

Michiel Fokkema

Replies: Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] lens recommendations (R))