Subject: [Leica] OT: laser printers
From: simon.ogilvie at gmail.com (Simon Ogilvie)
Date: Tue May 17 12:53:17 2005

Hi,
I hope you'll excuse the off topic post - it is photography related though!

I've been asked to produce a calendar of local photographs for a
charity in my village.  Having costed up the production using an
external bureau, it occured to me that I could buy a decent colo(u)r
laser printer for less money and do it myself which would give me much
more flexibility.  However, I've heard that lasers aren't "good
enough" for photo reproduction.  Is that still true or has the market
moved on enough to make them viable now?  I don't want to use inkjet
because my experience of them is that they're unreliable for big
production runs and would be too expensive in inks.  Is laser my only
option, or are there cheap dye-subs or something else I should be
looking at?  I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely and should go
back to the printing bureau, but I thought the collective wisdom and
experience of the LUG could be hugely helpful!

As someone else said: "I now return you to your scheduled program" :-)

Simon.