Subject: [Leica] Strange Clouds - LUG Meteorologists, please.
From: hlritter at mindspring.com (Howard L Ritter, Jr)
Date: Tue May 10 06:27:35 2005

I believe these are "mammary" or mammatus clouds, formed by cold air sinking
down from the bottom of a cumulonimbus cloud in its actively forming phase.
This means they're usually transient, as you observed. Were there
cumulonimbus or storm clouds, better yet an anvil cloud, in the area at the
time?

--howard