Subject: [Leica] Yorkshire Dales - Jays question
From: bonvini at optonline.net (Jay)
Date: Fri May 6 05:21:24 2005

A remarkable area.
Thanks for sharing the images.

Jay Ignaszewski

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+bonvini=optonline.net@leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+bonvini=optonline.net@leica-users.org]On Behalf Of
Douglas Sharp
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2005 7:14 PM
To: Leica Users Group
Subject: Re: [Leica] Yorkshire Dales - Jays question

Hello Jay,
these were taken in the period 1988 - 1992, the area is a National Park
and has severe restrictions on what may and may not be done there. Parts
of the area have a further designation as "Areas of Outstanding Natural
Beauty" and are subject to even stricter rules and regulations.
The first National Parks in the UK were set up as long ago as 1948 and
were actually planned at the end of WWII to be "lands to which one could
be proud to come home to" , in addition to making access available to
the general public the idea was to encourage agriculture and local
industry and to regulate building activity in such a way as to prevent
the construction of "architecturally inappropriate structures" within
existing towns and villages. Swaledale is an area where water meadows
and wild flower hay meadows are now subsidised by the authorities,
something which has been very successful in preserving and
re-introducing wildlife to the area. For example wild orchids, Red
Kites, Henharriers, Otters and Crayfish have returned, most of which
were on the endangered species lists for this part of the UK for many years.
The only extensive damage to this dale was mainly perpetrated between
the 14th and very early 2oth century by the mining industry.
During the foot and mouth disease epidemic a couple of years ago much of
the area was closed to tourists and had an opportunity to recover from
the superficial damage caused by walkers straying from footpaths,
off-road vehicles and trail bikes.
Many of these rights of way have since had to be cleared of
thick ferns, brambles and grass to open them up again. There is now also
a campaign running to restrict the use of these ancient rights of way to
pedestrians, bicyles and , to a limited extent, horse and pony riders.
In the neighbouring dales to the south a considerable amount of
off-roader mis-use has been recorded which has already damaged or
destroyed  habitats of both flora and fauna and sites of historical
interest.

In short the landscape is as beautiful as ever and is being actively
kept so.

cheers
Douglas