Subject: [Leica] Pens: thoughts before I leave
From: rlbunting at lucent.com (Bunting, Roger L (Roger))
Date: Mon May 2 19:26:18 2005

Hey, I know this is way away from Leica, and I've always been a good OT boy,
so please forgive. I have wanted to buy a good fountain pen for years, and I
began looking recently again. I remember some of you have favorite pens:
reasons, thoughts and downright opinions now sought --- what fountain pen
should a letter writing LUGGER be using ;-)

Alastair,
I love fountain pens, and I agree with many of the recommendations of the
group. My favorite is a vintage Parker 51 for every day writing. However the
nib on pens is IMO the heart of the system and very personal. I have two
favorites - for taking notes in margins I use a very fine and often stiff
nib. For letter writing I use a much more flexible nib.

I've often had nibs customized by www.nibs.com <http://www.nibs.com> .
Straight out of the box I like the Pelikan. It comes in various diameters,
with the diameter increasing as the number increases. I have large hands and
like the 800 series. Another favorite is the Waterman with a fine nib. These
two pens have very different weight/balance and IMO the Pelikan (without the
cap posted) is a little less tiring for long letter writing sessions. Style
and gold accoutrements often can dictate the pen. The OMAS (Paragon) is
another nice pen. I like the extra fine nib, but it is "softer" than the
Pelikan. Soft is different than flexible. It's hard for me to put into
words, but you will know it when you write with one.

If you like stiff nibs, I think the vintage Parker 51 is the easiest to
maintain, the most elegant cap (slip tight mechanism) and the most
comfortable in long sessions with or without the cap posted. A wonderfully
balanced pen.

Vintage Schaeffer's are also very nice, especially if you like fine nibs.

Anyway, they are the "Bokeh" of writing instruments - very personal and hard
to describe :-). Enjoy ...

BTW: a fun start is the very inexpensive LAMY Safari. It's a metal, not gold
nib, but very smooth. Plastic body. I got mine for $25.00 US at a bargain
counter.

Regards,
Roger /leica35@yahoo.com
http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/Leica35