Subject: [Leica] Re: digital transformation - Quantum Leap
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Fri Apr 29 11:58:02 2005

Ah, Clive - a true chemist in the group! I liked to imagine Linus Pauling
excitedly jumping up and down between electron energy levels as he
discovered the quantum-state orbital properties of atoms.

Of course, this is on-topic since panchromatic film was invented when
photographic chemists discovered that light sensitive dyes could be added to
film emulsion. The dyes would absorb low level energy light at the red side
of the spectrum, where silver halide is not sensitive. The electron in the
dye molecule jumps to a higher quantum state. When the electron falls back
down to the lower stable state orbital, it releases energy that the silver
halide crystal can absorb. Viola! A latent image.

All because of Quantum Leaps.  Yes, a VERY small distance.

Gary Todoroff
(Tree LUGger)
(B.S. Chemistry, Antioch 1970)