Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 434
From: imagist at imagist.cnc.net (George Lottermoser)
Date: Fri Apr 29 09:16:44 2005

> Subject: RE: [Leica] nostalgic for film
> To: "'Leica Users Group'" <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> George,
> You have phrased the angst perfectly.  I truly have no difficulty
> picking up a digital camera and making it produce images, but it is
like
> using a block plane with a slightly mis-sharpened blade,

If I were to use planes as a metaphor - I would liken the Digital SLR to
a well sharpened and fine quality electric plane; and the M Leica as a
fine and well sharpened hand plane. The hand plane allows me to feel the
cut wood and appreciate the curl of shaving; the tool disappears in use
and keeps me focused on the wood, the grain, the smell, the quiet
contemplation of shaping. The electric plane gives me speed, efficiency
and requires me to focus on controling the sucker so it doesn't get away
from me. The noise and vibration eventually drives me to find the
correct hand plane.

Fond regards,
G  e  o  r g  e    L  o  t  t  e  r  m  o  s  e r, imagist
Presenting effective messages in beautiful ways
                                                since 1969
web                                      <www.imagist.com>
email                                   george@imagist.com
voice                                         262-241-9375
address                       10050 N Port Washington Road
                                          Mequon, WI 53092