Subject: [Leica] MP vs. M6 noise
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Tue Apr 26 11:05:16 2005

Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:

> I well understand in your case with wildlife photography no matter how
> faint
> the camera sound many birds and critters have incredible hearing, other
> wise
> they might not survive too long in the wilds. Therefore it would be great
> have a completely silent camera for your photography.

Ted, the funny thing is that the camera's sound only matters when I'm in a
blind (UK: hide).  When I'm in the open, I want the critters to be aware of
me.  I'll burp, mutter to myself, just to make a few noises so the animal is
aware of me, and sees that I'm not trying to be super-silent.  The first
click of the shutter is a bit startling 'cuz it's a much sharper sound than
an old man's muttering so I make the first exposure at some distance.  After
that the click of the shutter DOES NOT MATTER!!  NOT ONE LITTLE BIT!!  So
while I agree with you that discussing the subtle differences in sound
between one M camera and another is a bit obsessive I've got my own
idiosyncracies so I'll tolerate the foibles of others :-)

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com