Subject: [Leica] Well, then...
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Sat Apr 23 20:06:56 2005

Today I drove down to Samy's to get a(nother) Domke bag.
Samy's is a large camera store in Los Angeles, that sells everything
from Instamatics to pro gear.

Upon entering I was greeted by a large, slick Nikon booth, stacked with
every camera they make. Looked like something from a tradeshow and I was
glad to see Nikon put on a good show.

The darkroom department had shrunk dramatically. Inkjet paper now
occupied
70% of the wall. Chemicals were down to the basics, D76, Kodak stuff,
some Ilford
and Agfa. Everything you need, just in a less dominant location.

When I got upstairs I was in for another surprise. Most of the film
cameras were
gone. The whole medium format section was gone, replaced by rows of
inkjet
and photo printers. The Leica shop had barricaded itself in it's
corner, and it's selection of
used gear had thinned considerably. Some guy was buying a black MP. The
1.4/50 Lux ASPH
looks really nice.

Most of the used gear was gone. Only a few Nikons and Canons remained.

I walked past the glass case mortuary in the center in the room holding
the "collectors pieces'.
As I walked down the isle, my M4 reflected in the glass and with it's
one eye peered at it's
shiny relatives, stacked in neat rows and decorated with paper price
tags, who's indicated price
condemned them to a live in suspended animation.

Huge selection of bags though...

When I left I felt rather old for someone who is only in his early
30's...

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com