Subject: [Leica] Photos at Putah Creek Restoration Area
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat Apr 16 16:20:12 2005

on 4/16/05 1:40 PM, Adam Bridge at abridge@gmail.com wrote:
> These are wild oats.
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1770.jpg>
>
> I happen to really like the colors in the background.

I like the BG colors too, they compliment the color of the oats' outer
sheath well.  The one thing that spoils it for me is the one out-of-focus
oat in the lower left, otherwise I'd say it was just right.

> This is an artichoke thistle - beautiful but the spines are sharp and
> they are nasty invasive that even goats won't eat.
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1766.jpg>

IMHO too much separation between the purples and the greens of the spiny
leaves if that's what they are.  It's hard to see the relationship between
them, and w/o that relationship I don't know what the purple has to do with
the rest of the picture.  You know I'm being picky, don't you?

> While photographing some grass fronds I came up way too close to this
> monster. I don't know what it is, I don't WANT to know. I have a thing
> about these beasties, but I did a few shots anyway. I'm glad I don't
> look too closely at what's in the grass!
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1784-crp.jpg>
>
> <http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1790-crp.jpg>

An arachnid of some kind...  I like your use of colors in these two.  The
arachnid is the only non-green thing in the pictures, which helps it stand
out, yet it's not out of place as the purple of the thistle seems to be
because I can see the arachnid is using the green plants.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Photos at Putah Creek Restoration Area)