Subject: [Leica] Newbie question about frame line accuracy
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Thu Apr 14 11:08:42 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 10:47 AM, William G. Lamb, III wrote:

>> Why aren't the framelines in the M's (I have a TTL) very
>> accurate for framing?  Is there some special technical challenge
>> involved?
>>
>> Scott

The M finder only compensates for parallax shift in x and y, but does
not
compensate for a shift in focal length by zooming in / out in z.

The focal length of a lens changes very slightly as you focus from
close-up
to infinity. A 50 may be a 50 at 1 meter, but when focused at infinity
it may
shift slightly and become a 48 or something. Anyone with more optical
expertise, please chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

Starting with the M6, Leica shrank the frame lines. There are several
theories why they did this:

a) Sometime during the 1980's Leica 50's gained the ability to focus as
close as
70 cm. Previously they were mostly limited to 1 meter. The new frame
lines
reflect that change. But how often do you shoot at 70 cm? I bet most
shooting
is done from 3-5 meters to infinity.

b) Leica crammed more framelines in to the finder and needed to shrink
everything
a little to fit. Old cameras have markings for 35/50/90/135. New
cameras show
28/35/50/75/90/135.

c) They needed extra room for the meter read out, but I find this
explanation
difficult to believe. The meter dots are pretty far down.

Regardless of the reason, these changes mostly affected the 50mm and
90mm
markings. I think they are about 10-15% smaller than the old ones. The
M2/M3/
M4/M5/M4-2  and some M4-P all have the old style, bigger frame lines.

This is my pet peeve about the current Leicas. I rarely shoot a 50 on
the newer
bodies, unless I really need the built in meter. I do not expect
absolute accuracy from
a rangefinder, that is the domain of the SLR. But to me the 50 markings
on the newer
cameras are so far off, as to be unacceptable, even for an RF

So, I mostly shoot the 35 on the new bodies and keep the 50/90 on the
older
ones.

One solution is to use a VIOOH finder, which is surprisingly accurate,
especially
at infinity.

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4