Subject: [Leica] Macro Comparison Leica v. Yashica
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Tue Apr 12 09:33:38 2005

Hello everyone,

Only one third Leica and no Rollei at all. It may , however, be of
interest to those of us who like optical excellence whatever the source
may be.

2 full-frame shots: taken with a Macro-Elmar 4/100mm and a
Yashica ML 2,8/55mm Macro both at f8, Canon 20D at ISO 100, tripod
mounted, daylight.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8_full_frame
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_full_frame
2 centre crops from the same shots
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/Leicaf8
http://gallery.leica-users.org/album150/CY_f8

I think that the resolution of the Yashica is superior but the clour
rendition of the Leica is better (richer).
Just to make sure that the lenses were comparable they were both
cleaned, front and rear elements, before taking these.
I ran the test through 5 times and got the same results for f8 and for
other apertures, refocussing each test series to eliminate any possible
focussing errors, and picked the best of each run. Maybe I got a duff
Elmar, this difference in quality is surprising to say the least.
Cheers
Douglas

BTW it's a Miners Safety Lamp

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Macro Comparison Leica v. Yashica)