Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 369, digital M
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Mon Apr 11 04:09:38 2005

Laurence,
These are absolutely astronomical sums, particularly when you think that
Leica is no longer a supplier of equipment for professional photographers.
To be quite brutal about it,they make professional standard equipment
for wealthy or discerning amateurs, and have done for years. The number
of professionals still using Leica can easily be counted on the fingers
of one hand.
Leica sells charisma and "values" more than anything else.
Arguably, Leica products are possibly (probably) the best manufactured
and best QC'd photographic equipment on the market and, as such
eminently desirable. This is where we get to the heart of Leica's
market, the desirability factor, "Must Have!!" is the motto, Leica is ,
however, well on the way to pricing themselves out of the market.
However good the DMR (WITHOUT a camera!! for between 4 and 5 thousand
euros!!) or a future Digital-M may (5000 euros minimum, just the body)
be, there can only be a very limited market right from the start.What
Leica needs is a basic "bread and butter" product to finance the
high-end stuff. Nikon ran 2 price ranges, so did Contax (poor example,
it didn't work for them either, Olympus did as well.).
Whether this should be an entry level camera (a la RE) or a P&S or a
basic rangefinder, lenses in other mounts, or whatever, this may be the
only way to get them back on their feet.
cheers froom Germany
Douglas

BTW, the report from the management in Solms also said, indirectly, that
they didn't have enough capital to be able to afford to close down.
The employees social "safety net" would be so expensive that they
couldn't afford to lay people off, a factor which may involve millions
of euros. Hire-and-fire is definitely not the order of the day in Germany.
This is usually calculated for each employee as : number of years in
employment x gross monthly salary/wage x 13 (1 year + christmas bonus) x
some factor worked out between unions/wokers council and management,
usually between 65 and 75%.