Subject: [Leica] Epson RD-1 and love
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Apr 7 02:16:43 2005

Gerry

Something similar happened to me, when I had a M6 in my hands for the first
time. I just knew, that's the camera I want; and a few months later I had
one.

But the R-D1 - I don't know. I believe it feels solid and handy when you
come from a D1X (which has a lot of plastic parts, afaik?); but not if you
are used to carry a M body. I had a R-D1 in my hands a few weeks ago, at a
local camera shop, and was very disappointed. The bumpy painting on the top
plate looks cheapish to me (looks like hammertone without hammertone), the
built quality is noticeable below Leica level, the menu handling with the
"rewind knob" is awkward, and the manual handling of the framelines is ok
for a low priced Bessa, but not for a $3k body (here in Switzerland it
costs even more, close to $4k). Seen this way, it's price is too high, at
least for me.

I'm giving up the idea of using my M and LTM lenses on a digital system, as
it's too expensive for an amateur like me, and the crop factor drives me
nuts (and would cause me to buy a lot of new and expensive viewfinders). If
digital, then I think I'll go for a completely new system, a 4/3 Oly e-300
for instance. The Zuiko lenses are sharp, too.

Didier