Subject: [Leica] M3 purchase
From: msmall at aya.yale.edu (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Apr 6 18:51:43 2005

At 09:43 PM 4/6/05 -0400, Michael J Herring wrote:
>Do you think the wind is smoother on the M3 film advance?
>I remember when I bought my first Canon F1 in 1971. It had the smoothest
>wind mechanism of any SLR at that time.
>I believe the Popular photography lab examined one and stated -
>"The gear teeth are made from polished brass".
>Perhaps this is what they used in the M3?
>Most Leica owners tell me they prefer the M3 winding mechanism to the
>M4p thru M7.

Mike

How many times must we revisit these issues?  The winding gears on the M1
through M4 are brass.  These easily lap into each other to produce a really
silky advance but then wear out earlier than do the steel gears used on
later Leica cameras.  These steel gears will take a couple of decades to
lap in to an equal sort of smoothness but, then, I anticipate being around
when my Wetzlar M6 reaches this point in another quarter-century or so, as
only the good die young.  If I use my M3 as much as I do my M6, its gears
will look like the teeth of a West Virginia Homecoming Queen by then.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Was M3 purchase. Now WV Homecoming Queens)