Subject: [Leica] First publication (was: I'm Published!)
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Mon Apr 4 17:53:36 2005

Well, high school "news paper" and yearbook aside, my first published
photos appeared in the summer of 1963 in the Westport Town Crier, a
weekly in Westport, CN. I remember that some time in June I showed up on
the editor's door step, showed him some photos I'd taken, and told him
that I wanted a summer job as a photographer - ah, the chutzpah of
youth! He said he'd give me a couple of assignments, said he'd pay $10
per photo, - gave me film, and sent me on my way. After about the first
two weeks, he'd bought so many photos that he decided to put me on
"salary" - I don't remember what I made but I know it was below minimum
wage. Over the course of the summer I shot everything from softball
games, to the College Fashion Board at what I recall was the local
Talbot's, and from kids at the beach to ribbon cuttings - all with my
Dad's Rollei 2.8f. My final assignment, shot with a Honeywell Pentax,
was to travel with people from Westport by train to the March on
Washington for Jobs and Freedom, where I heard Martin Luther King
deliver his "I have a dream" speech. I remember shooting stuff of Conn.
Sen. Tom Dodd - fr. Of Christopher Dodd - Peter Paul and Mary
performing, and various other odds and ends. When I got back the paper
put together a photo page under the head, "Our Man, 17, Marched On
Washington," along with a short piece they had me write. I don't have
any of my original clips from the Washington Post, but I still have that
piece to this day.

B. D.