Subject: [Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Fri Apr 1 17:39:44 2005

Mark Rabiner writes in part:

> Size and balance are also big criteria for thinking about the new one over
> the old one Frank!
> And the idea and result of shooting with the latest of Leica optics vs. an
> optic which although not having what you'd call an "old fashioned"
> look"with extra heapings of Leica glow" but something with some of
> that resonance.
> Heck when it first came out it said "Leitz" on it.
>
> The current 75 1.4 is a bit of a monster.
> It would not go over well to redesign it with Aspherics making it more
> compact and correcting whatever "issues" it might actually have as its
> accused of having one or two.
> So another type of 75 is in order. A non high-speed type.
> But in this case not low speed either.

I'm with Mark on this one. I'd take the smaller 75/2 over the Summilux any
day and use 1600 iso film to allow non-flash work in low light.

The Summilux has a very shallow DOF wide open, is heavy and physically quite
large (think Noctilux). Plus its not every day that Leica produces a lens
that they label APO and ASPH!

Regards,

Greg

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75)