Subject: [Leica] APO SUMMICRON 75
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri Apr 1 12:08:17 2005

APO or ASPH...... What difference does it make?  It is a new design, and the
words "APO" and "ASPH" are only relevant to marketing and manufacturing.
They connote a lot, but they mean nothing.  Performance counts, the rest is
marketing nonsense.....( boy, am I going to hear about that last comment...)

Remember... it is the same price as the 75/1.4 new, twice the price of a
used 75/1.4, it is a bit lighter  ( I remember 100g but don't trust me); and
it will be clinically sharp.  It will not have the Bokeh of the 75/1.4  It
is apparently a bit shorter ( check again....) and a bit less in diameter
( F1.4 vs. F2, it SHOULD be smaller).

If you want clinically accurate photography, get it.  If you want a "look"
get a 75/1.4.  If you have a 75/1.4, why would anyone want a slower lens,
other than the 100g and the smaller diameter?

And the faster shutter speed is "free" on the 75/1.4, if you use it wide
open.

Frank Filippone, who favors the faster 75, both for "the Look" and .the
speed and the price (used).
red735i@earthlink.net

Steve Barbour