Subject: [Leica] RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Mar 30 09:50:41 2005

RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15
> Steve said:
> >>as the picture is a loser<<<<<<

Peter Werner offered:
 > I do not agree at all, I think it is a very interesting picture; the
> face of the nurse is beautiful and very expressive. It might be worth
> darkening the figure on the right; I did not do it because it would have
> taken me too much time.<<<<<,,,

Hi Peter,
Yes you improved the exposure and a bit more darkroom work could've made
improvement. However, as Steve said.... "as the picture is a loser" I concur
with him! It's just one of those frames that looked good at the moment,
however as a photograph it just doesn't cut it!

All you have to do is compare it to the other nurse and it hardly seems
worth while to fiddle with this one.
Sure she has an interesting expression, but the other one blows it right out
of the water!

Or think about some of the other photographs Steve has captured during his
OR series that are right on the mark perfect. This one just doesn't make it,
period no matter what fiddling one does with it.

Now if this were the only photograph he had for a major story, then it would
have to be worked on and hopefully satisfy the Photo editor he's working
with. In this case it isn't, as he has the other as well as any number of
other nurse pictures far superior to this one.

Or, and far more important is,..... Steve's credibility as a photojournalist
hangs on using a so so frame which he'd never do. Nor would I or any other
shooter worth his/her salt. Particularly when the full face mask picture is
sitting right there for use.

If there was any error here, it's this picture should never have been
posted. However, that's how everyone learns as I'm sure is happening as we
speak.

ted

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15)