Subject: [Leica] Edges and Corners, best lens for this...
From: krieger at usc.edu (Martin Krieger)
Date: Wed Mar 23 06:37:31 2005

I am interested in detail in the edges and corners, just where most lenses
fall off. Perhaps you discover afterwards you are interested in some detail
(maybe what is written on the wall) that happens to be in the outer zones of
the negative. Right now I use the 19mm Elmarit-R new for most of my work,
not at all closeup. Often wide open indoors, no flash. I know that I should
be on a tripod, etc. But for my work that is precluded. Can I do better?
Maybe a faster lens (albeit less wide), maybe a different system (Leica M,
Contax G, Canon, Nikon,...) offers a gem.

I also use a Hasselblad SWC/M with the Biogon T*. Its being f/4.5 is
sometimes a real problem unless I use film rated at 1600.

Also, is there any thoughtful comparison the main normal lenses for the
various camera marques. From what I can see, very roughly, the Summicron-M
beats them all, but I am no expert. If it is in the archive or someplace,
just point me to it.

Thank you,
Martin Krieger
krieger@usc.edu