Subject: [Leica] More on Pushing C-41 films
From: brad at bradbrad.com (brad daly)
Date: Sun Mar 20 16:46:14 2005

the problem is the way the machines work.  on a dip-and-dunk machine
it's fairly easy: you just get the machine to leave the film in the
developer an extra 30 seconds (i think it's 30) per stop.  on a
motorized transport machine, it's more difficult as you have to stop
the workflow of the entire machine (imagine stopping a whole assembly
line so you can take longer welding on a car door or something) in
order to leave the film in the developer.  at the lab in which i
worked, we *could* push C-41 film, but it involved stopping the
workflow on a continuous transport machine.  for this reason, we never
did it when there was other film in front of the film being pushed,
though we were fairly certain that extra time in anything after the
developer would *not* hurt anyone's film; we just didn't want to chance
it.  in theory we also could have pushed a film by raising the
developer temperature, though we never tried this.  it might have been
a good idea if we'd ever had a really large batch of push film but
would have been impractical mostly because of the long time it would
take for the developer to cool back down to normal temperature.

suffice to say, a pro or semi-pro lab probably *can* do it, depending
on their machinery.  they may not, however, want to do it.

--
brad daly
brad@bradbrad.com

What Would Bill Hicks Say?

"Liberation brings us into the wilderness."
        --Marcus Borg

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] More on Pushing C-41 films)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Pushing C-41 films)
Message from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] More on Pushing C-41 films)