Subject: [Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Mar 19 12:21:57 2005

Okay - I STILL don't understand what you say is happening.

I can understand that less light may be captured by the microlenses
over the sensor elements located at the edges of the sensors because
the lenses, I suppose, are designed for light arriving perpendicular
to the plane of the sensor when, in fact, they are not.

BUT  how does this affect what's going on in the middle of the sensor?
It doesn't make any sense to me at all. If you open from f2 to f1.4
you should receive twice the number of photons arriving at the
micro-lens (since the lens works identically as that for film up to
this point.)

So you are saying that something non-linear is happening at this
point. What would this be? Is the reflection at the air/microlens
interface involved? The microlens/sensor interface? It's about
photons, right? I can't believe we've dropped into the quantum realm
where QED explainations are required in order to understand the
interactions. But I sure could be wrong.

anyway - I'd like to understand the physics and so far it's all
hand-waving and assertions.

There must be a way to do some science here - but I think the camera
software, even in RAW mode, tends to cover up any effects that might
be happening.

I'm really curious and dumbfounded - I'm not doing this for the sake
of argument.

Adam

Replies: Reply from dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Digital cameras with large aperture lenses)