Subject: [Leica] Dinner Pix
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Wed Mar 16 05:20:35 2005

Nathan - Actually, what I posted was straight out of Photoshop after
correcting for the deliberate one-stop underexposure.  It was really
quite dark in the restaurant.  I was shooting at an effective ISO of
800.  Here's the same photo processed through Noise Ninja.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/PEOPLE/L1000113_v2_nn_web

I'm not sure it will show up in this low res posting, but the overall
effect is to smooth out the noise at the expense of some detail.

This was done using the recommended Digilux 2 profile and settings.
The full res image still has quite a lot of unpleasant digital
speckles, though far fewer than the original.  This file makes an
acceptable 5x7 (inch) print, but I'm not sure one could go much
bigger than that.  I need to explore Noise Ninja more to see if any
improvement is possible.

B.T.W. shooting at such low "signal" levels (let me slip into
engineer-speak for a second) also tends to bring up artifacts in the
sensor, vis. the horizontal bands in my son's turtleneck.  These are
totally invisible when more light is available.

Regards,

Dick
Boston MA

>Dick,
>
>The images still look noisy. Perhaps it is just a feature of the
>Digilux, but these seem to have more noise at 400 than my Canon
>images do at 1600.
>
>In general, I find that software like Noise Ninja that promises a
>free lunch usually does not deliver.
>
>Speaking of the Digilux, it was the only Leica I saw while walking
>around the Jardin de Luxembourg in Paris last Sunday.
>
>Nathan

(snip)

>>http://gallery.leica-users.org/PEOPLE/L1000113_v2_web_001

(snip)

>Nathan Wajsman
>Almere, The Netherlands
>
>General photography: http://www.nathanfoto.com
>Seville photography: http://www.fotosevilla.com
>Stock photography: http://www.alamy.com/search-results.asp?qt=wajsman
>http://myloupe.com/home/found_photographer.php?photographer=507
>Prints for sale: http://www.photodeluge.com

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Dinner Pix)
Message from nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Dinner Pix)