Subject: [Leica] 2/75 Ccon
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Mar 15 17:33:50 2005

Richard,
Yes, the new 75 Summicron is based on the 50 Summilux design, including
the floating element.  Based on my 50 Summilux, it will be a stunningly
good lens.  With that said, my 75 Summilux will stay in my bag.

What this lens offers is a 28-75 combo that lets you do quite a bit with
two lenses.  With a little compromise you no longer need the 35-50-90
combo.

It is heavy because it is made of high refractive glass, just like the
Noctilux.  This glass is very heavy.

I still believe that announcing this lens is probably a mistake.  The 50
Summilux is still heavily back ordered and I stand by my comments that
what Leica needs now is large infusions of cash.  Making customers wait
long periods for their purchase is not good business.  If however, B&H
starts to have 50 Summiluxes in stock, then updating an existing lens
will bring in more sales.

Now, if you could just buy an M with a dedicated 75mm frame line, I
would be in line for the body.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com