Subject: [Leica] Puts RD 1 test
From: mikiro at yahoo.fr (MIKIRO)
Date: Mon Mar 14 17:51:57 2005

As an R-D1 user, I think he properly analyses essential pros and cons of
this camera.

"The basic performance is too low to exploit the image quality of
current Leica lenses, as can be seen on the basis of the film comparison."

This is true, but IMO the performance is above a threshold for seeing
lens differences and hence enjoying new and old Leica optics (if not to
a satisfactory degree) in real shooting. To my eyes, its performance at
ISO 400 and 800 is comparable or superior to film at these sensitivities.

"For the person who wants state of the art technology to support his/her
stream-of-consciousness approach to photography there is no alternative
at this moment."

This is why I (and some of you) decided not to wait for R-D2.

MIKIRO