Subject: [Leica] Some afterthoughts by afterswift on the Mac & the PC
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Mar 13 17:36:57 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 00:07:28 EST, Afterswift@aol.com <Afterswift@aol.com>
wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>
> After 7 years of using both a Mac and a Dell, I have the following
> impressions.
> The Mac was designed by artists.
> The PC was designed by engineers.

I'd say that the Mac has a sense of style while the PC's sense of
design is by engineers who have no idea of design elegance.

> The Mac is elegant.
> The PC is prosaic.
>
> The Mac appears simple.
> The PC appears as what it is.
>
> The Mac hides its OS software.
> The PC flaunts it. You can really dig into a PC OS.

Clearly you never ventured to the command line of OS X where all the
ELEGANT complexity of UNIX can be found. You really NEED to dig into
Windows because it's a mish-mash without a design philosophy.

> The Mac is innovative.
> The PC is off the shelf.

These aren't book ends. There is virtually no innovation in the PC
space beyond keeping the fastest clock-speed processor happy. Still
the same crappy ports as the original PC. Would USB or USB 2 exist if
Apple hadn't pushed the envelope? USB was kick-started by the iMac.

> The Mac tool bars activate applications.
> The PC tool bars show start up applications and activate  others.
>
> The Mac was non-competitive in price.
> The PC is competitive.

Depends - item for the item a similiarly configured Dell is very close
in price to a Mac - but Dell ships lots of low-end systems.

> The Mac's elegance made possible the competitive Mac Mini.
> Who knows what the PC makers will now do?

Why it's all that innovation that the PC makers have been doing over
the past five years or so. Right? Oh...I'm sure there must be SOME.
But you won't see a PC mini until they cast off those wretched old
serial and parallel ports they are so wedded to.

> The Mac can do almost everything.
> The PC does everything.

Yeah - virus after virus after virus. Do enjoy those.

> Bob

Adam - who doesn't do Windoze.