Subject: [Leica] Another 'story' in four shots
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Mar 12 17:32:12 2005

Seth:  I grew really fond of T400CN, and it became *almost* a universal B&W
film for me.   More on the "almost" in a moment.  I still haven't forgiven
Kodak for discontinuing it. But why should today be different?   Kodak's
marketing strategy seems to be that every time I like one of their films,
they either discontinue it, rename it, or tag it for "export only."
Fortunately the replacements are close in quality.

The CN B&W films have a wonderful tonal scale and can be exposed at various
speeds successfully, even mixed in the same roll.  They scan easily, and
can be processed anywhere that does color negs.  If you scan them yourself,
digital ICE and other Infrared dust and scratch elimination methods work,
unlike with silver B&W negs.

The bad news is that at IE 400, T400CN and its brethren are better, tend to
get muddy and grainy in the shadows. The other problem is that the
negatives get scratched if you so much as *look* at them harshly.

If you want a B&W film that approaches medium format in tonal scale and
clarity, expose CN B&W film at EI 200, and life is good:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/california/JoshTree35.htm

At IE 400, you can do available light if the important stuff is in the
highlights and midtones, and you don't mind doing a bit of extra work to
make the shadows black to hide the noise.  This next photo is a nightime
shot from the same roll as the above Joshua Tree scene.  There is some
shadow grain/noise on an 8x10, but it's quite usable.  Tri-X would have
been slightly more grainy in the lighter parts, but better in the shadows:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/california/2-09BlondGirlStFair.htm

Here's a couple of B&W400CN shots from a family wedding this past summer:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/5-20NaomiEliZzz.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/family/2-34Antionette.htm  (wish I'd opened
up a half stop more on this one, as I just lose detail on her left side).

Bottom line:  For available darkness, Tri-X or Neopan 400/1600 is
better.  But for good light or a mix of light, T400CN and its brethren can
be very nice, indeed.  For best results, shoot it at 200, dropping to 400
when you need it. At 400, if the shadows are important, give it an extra
half to full stop when you can.  You can always overexpose and you'll
probably be OK.  Underexpose, and you may get mud.  Handle with care, and
use a good lab.

--Peter

Seth Rosner asked Graham:

Replies: Reply from woc2 at earthlink.net (Bill O'Connell) ([Leica] BW Plugin Question)