Subject: [Leica] Was GB's asleep, now the smell of the north
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Thu Mar 10 05:11:46 2005

Yes Frank,
the smells are what do it,
The desolate moors around Blackshaw Head, peat on millstone grit,
acidic,dark
moody and earthy.
Swaledale, Wharfedale and Wensleydale, limestone country after the rain, a
sweet, fresh,refreshing smell of bracken and sheep cropped grass, flower
meadows
and fast flowing limestone bedded becks.
The North York Moors, slightly bitter and musty with a dusty touch of
heather,
a mushroomy humus smell of green in the woods and a tang of sea salt when
the
wind's coming in from the sea..
Whitby, a touch of ozone and fresh oak-smoked kippers,
drying seaweed and wet sand, the warm smell of pubs, good beer and food.

There's no defence either against the childhood memories which come back in
rush, the smell of the miniature railway in Saltburn - the trail of familiar
scents on down the hill at Robin Hood's Bay, the smell of warmth, beer and
bar
food in the Laurel,fresh fish, crabs and lobsters next door, Fewsters'
grocery
and vegetables across the road, fresh bread and smoked ham from the bakers
and
butchers to the left of the bridge, Bill Brown's dusty and damply rotting
shop,
the slipway and the Bay Hotel and then the smell to top them all, the beach;
drying barnacles and bladder-wrack, diesel exhaust from Trillo's ice-cream
landrover and the brewery lorry starting back up the 1-in-4, the horses, the
beck.
Pictures are supposed to say more than a thousand words, in comparison the
sense
of smell is a whole library.
Douglas
Already looking forward to getting home again in July for a few weeks.