Subject: [Leica] Ansel
From: ferider at yahoo.com (Der Eiserne Reiter)
Date: Mon Mar 7 17:20:44 2005

I cann't keep quiet on this one. Above my monitor, at work, I have a print of
AA (Rac Lake) and Stieglitz (A Ventian Canal) right next to each other. To
me,
this is more than a question of talent, IMHO.

In my (engineering :-) mind a major part of art is using available tools to
develop
a language to communicate sometimes non-trivial issues of importance
to a receiver (and I consider myself on the receiving end ...).

In the late 30s and early 40s, AA did exactly this, on the shoot and in the
darkroom. At least with me, much of his work deeply resonates. With respect
tool usage, he did some good for Hasselblad.

I doubt the above is true for the likes of Kincaid (who produces what we call
in German "Kitsch"). What a marketing machine made out AA's work is a
different
story. If he made money out of it - good for him, I read that AA had a hard
time financially in the beginning.

Maybe this is trivia, but here is an example link to some non-calendar Art
work of AA:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/aamhtml/aamhome.html

2 more cents ...

Roland.