Subject: [Leica] Re:how to make conventional photography,unconventional
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Sun Mar 6 13:58:53 2005

>Where's the fun?
>
>I think for the masses film was as easy, or easier than digital. Drop in
>film. Shoot. Drop it off at the lab. Get photos. Two years to shoot a
>roll....no problem.
>
>Kodak didn't really market film. They marketed memories. I think today
>consumer digicams are marketing instant gratification. I wonder how many
>images end up as prints, how many are downloaded, and how many end up
>only being shown on the camera's LCD.
>
>Instant gratification is what people want today. I just did a study of
>that subject in relation to the food industry. Which is more gratifying,
>Cocoa Puffs or Quaker Oats? Which is better for you? Check out a
>grocer's shelves. It's not just cereal. Of course, instant gratification
>has nothing to do with photography. Or does it?
>
>DaveR

Dave

I believe that you are confusing the tool with the final goal. All my family
has been in the photographic business in the last sixty (60) years and from
my  childhood I was helping in the darkroom developing, printing, drying and
enameling the tiny b&w pictures all the aficionados were shooting every
weekend. You can believe me if I say that most of them, would everybody
excuse me, were as banal as they are nowadays when my family, still, has a
photographic group of shops here in Spain and everybody is shooting with
digital cameras. What makes valuable a picture is by no means the tool used
but the photographer. This has been established ad nauseam in this list.
B.D., Ted, Tina, Steve, Natham among many others are producing stunning
images in digital or in film. Never mind if the camera is one or another, is
their skill and their inspiration that counts.

Please, stop blaming digital and blessing film. The tool will be always a
tool. A Leica is a magnificent tool and I'm really pleased using it but
never grant a good picture.

Regards

Felix