Subject: [Leica] was Multiple Bodies, now cropping-phooey!
From: chandos at cox.net (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Sun Mar 6 09:07:19 2005

On the contrary, I view it as the height of laziness to 'discover' the
image in the darkroom or on the monitor.

There's a reason that folk are suspicious of "cooked up" images, I
suppose, which is why the phrase is derogatory in ordinary usage.

I try to get it right the first time, and have felt that this limits my
"creativity." I suppose I was exposed to Minor White at too
impressionable an age.

And I'm a first rate cook, thank you very much, if I can trust the
judgment of the many people who've dined at my table.

Chandos

B.D.
Since I was a fisherman before I was a photographer, my attitude is
that
rarely is a fish ready to eat just after you catch it.  One must clean
it, get
rid of that which is not tasty or digestible, and cook it lovingly and
present
it attractively.

Most of the time when I see a picture  posted, and I say, "this picture
could
benefit from cropping," or "this picture  wants to be contrastier," and
the
shooter writes back, "Oh I never crop!" or "I  never photoshop."

When I get that back, I know the person probably can't  cook, and
possibly
thinks Campbell's Gumbo is what we eat in  Louisiana.

Phooey. I've said it before, and I'll say it again and  again,  It is
just
laziness to not try to make your picture all it can  be.  Subscribing to
some
silly notion that you must always follow a rule  that you made up in the
first
place takes a horrible toll on your creativity.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches,  Louisiana
Oldest continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish