Subject: [Leica] Re:The high price of progress
From: leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams)
Date: Fri Mar 4 15:28:50 2005

PDN magazine listed what a film vs digital commercial shoot would cost. In
the end, both had the same exact profit. Film was more on the processing
side, where digital had much more equipment costs.

For me: 2 D100 bodies @ $1300 each - $2600
             1 D2h body @ $2400
             17-55/2.8 DX lens @ $1300
             Memory cards 3 2gb @ $200 each - $600
             Software crap - $300 approx

So - $7200 is an estimate not counting the small stuff like batteries

There's either the DMR, RD-1 or D2x in this year to pay for also. And those
4gb cards for those 10mp or 12mp files

I have 3 Leica bodies for work. 3 Digital SLR's for work. Most of my wedding
work now comes from people wanting digital for online use. Film scan costs
are way too $$$ for this. Wedding prices just for scanning would be $300. I
can upload 1,000 digital files through an online service for almost nothing,
just under $50. Not to mention the time saved where orders are placed online
and I'm not hunting for files or negatives.

I still shoot B&W with the Leicas sometimes. I do love when people want BW
film.

Chris